London Life: Week 2 - Fraying Away My Day!

So that's Week Two complete, already a sixth of the way through my time in the GILES studio.

Monday:

First day of Week 2 and the one and only Giles Deacon is in studio, after being away all of last week, he was finally back at base and it made the whole situation, all the more surreal. I am really here, in his studio, it just doesn't make sense, like I genuinely don't understand how I got here, but I'm definitely going to make the most of it, while I can! Monday morning started with the routine clean up and some more embroidery sampling. Then I made the trip to Sienna Couture in Battersea, along with ten rather heavy dresses to get some stitching fixed. I returned to the studios and continued embroidering for another while. Shortly after, I was shown how to fray the AW embroidery pieces and continued with that for the rest of the day..

Motoyogo in Spitalfield Markets

Tuesday:

Tuesday began with more fraying.. initially it was pretty straight forward with rectangular pieces and then it began to get more complicated, throwing a few curves into the mix. There was some more embroidery done also... Then possibly came one of the most stressful yet easiest jobs I've had to do so far, I had to get Giles his lunch from the Spitalfield's Market, like no biggy, I literally just had to walk over, order a pretty straight forward order and walk back, but yet I was so afraid I would do something wrong, but I managed to get the main man his food and all in good time. Then, myself and Shannon had to bring some more patterns and leather to the leather tailors again along with some leather to the laser cutters. After lunch, I cut some strips of organza for lining and also had to do some more fraying for some Autumn Winter couture pieces, which was scary and nerve-wrecking, but I think I have the hang of it now!

Wednesday:

Wednesday also began with some fraying... surprise! It's now my speciality. This was followed by some embroidery. After lunch, I helped the other interns with their task of wiping the fresh laser-cut leather clean, quite a monotonous job but by the end of the day we were all helping and made the job pass a bit quicker.


Thursday:

Thursday started off with some more cleaning of the laser cut leather. After that I had to piece together some large paper print outs of patterns for the Spring Summer collection, to help visualise the scales and impact of the designs. Later on, I had to collect a parcel from the reception of the Truman Brewery and then I continued on with more embroidery. Lastly, I had to return some tools to Forma Leather, the leather tailors and as it was nearly 6pm, I was finished once I did that so I took the scenic route home, exploring more Shoreditch and Brick Lane.

Friday:

Friday began with more embroidery, I was finally getting close to finishing the piece I had been working on since I started the internship. I then helped with sewing one of the AW white pleated collars. This was followed by a trip to Forma Leather to collect some garment labels, I then continued embroidering for another while and that completed week two with Giles. I met Stacey and Eimear after work, we checked out some samples sales and then got some delicious pizza on Dray Walk, just off Brick Lane, followed by a few drinks.

Delicious Pizza from Dray Walk

Saturday:

So we had an early start on Saturday with a tube into South Kensington first thing in the morning, to queue for tickets to the Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty exhibition with Eimear and Hannah and boy was it worth it... an hour or so of queueing and we had our tickets and then just a short wait till our entry time. As soon as we entered the first room, we were awestruck, words will never explain the experience, obviously photography was prohibited so I can't show you anything, but if you get the chance to make the trip before the 2nd of August, it's only £10 for students and it was probably the best £10, I've ever spent. Two hours passed unnoticeably and we had completed the exhibition, with a new found adoration of McQueen and the phenomenal work the man has achieved. This was followed by a wander through South Kensington, with lunch in the Kensington Gardens and some sunbathing. Later on, we adventured through Hyde Park, where I parted with Eimear and Hannah for a trip down Oxford Street before returning home for the night.

Serpentine Pavilion, Kensington Gardens - Fine Art Installation
Sunday:

Once again, another chilled Sunday with a lie in and the usual apartment chores. I then made the trip up to the Sunday markets on Brick Lane and walked over to the Gherkin Building to take a few shots.

The Gherkin Building
Victoria & Albert Museum Courtyard

So in the last few months, I've developed quite an addiction for buying fashion related books and I've found these two in V&A shop on Saturday and they're definitely next on my list. 'Fashion & Textiles - The Essential Careers Guide' to help me sort my life out and 'Grace - A Memoir, Grace Coddington' simply because she is my idol, ever since I watched 'The September Issue' I've been obsessed with this genius of a woman and I need both of these books immediately.

My Next Purchases..
So that's all for week two. Hope you liked it, as always feedback is welcome and feel free to follow me on my other social media sites.

Thanks,
Barry T.


Feel free to follow me on:
Twitter: Baarold
Instagram: barryt95
Tumblr: barryharryt
Pinterest: barryt95






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introducing My Store On RedBubble

London Life | The Official Move

Paris & London | A Month of Madness