Red Carpet Review: The Oscar's 2015

It's the Big One! The 87th Academy Awards and I've been waiting for this one to come around, it's always been my favourite award show and it alway has the most impressive red carpet. With Best Picture going to 'Birdman', Best Actor to Eddie Redmayne (The Theory of Everything) and Best Actress going to Julianne Moore (Still Alice), the who's who of film industry were all out for the big event.

What: The Oscars
When: 22nd of February 2015
Where: Dolby Theatre, Hollywood, Los Angeles


First up, my favourites:

The Jennifer's knew what was up at the Oscars, stealing my top two spaces from the night.

Jennifer Lopez stole the show in this stunning nude Elie Saab gown. Covered with sequins, Ms Lopez was a real life princess in this Cinderella-esque piece. Once again, turning up with a beautiful plunging neckline, the American Idol Judge was certainly one of the most talked about looks from the night.

Jennifer Aniston turned up in a custom made champagne Versace gown. This one shoulder piece, beautifully beaded and perfectly fitted, really shows of her amazing figure. Without a doubt one of my favourites from the night, Ms Aniston can do no wrong.


Now Anna Kendrick has received very mixed views over choosing this Thakoon number. A lot of people believe that it wasn't good enough for the Oscars, that maybe the colour wasn't glamorous enough or that the simplicity wasn't wow-ing enough for the Academy Awards. However, I completely disagree, I'm absolutely obsessed with this dress, I've always been quite a fan of peachy-coral tones, it can't be denied that Kendrick owned this look from head to toe. I think it's a timeless look, with a classy up do and elegant Norman Silverman jewellery to complete.

Jamie Chung wasn't a major conversation topic in general, but I think she certainly deserves a place, as one of the best dressed. This Yanina Couture gown is unbelievable. I love the mix of nude and the layers of transparent black over layered with bursts of sequins.


Emma Stone was also a personal fave in this haute couture Elie Saab with Tiffany Blue Book Collection jewellery. Miss Stone is timeless to me. I just love how she carries herself, her hair and make up was on point, as always. You can be sure that she will always choose something different and will always make it work.

Kiera Knightley wore this beautiful Valentino piece and Chanel Fine Piece Jewellery, which I am absolutely in love with. The floral designs give a really elegant and natural appearance, perfectly matching the glow of the mother-to-be.


Here's a few more of the looks, that I loved from the night...

Margot Robbie - Saint Laurent
Dakota Johnson - Saint Laurent 


Rosamund Pike - Givency
Lupita Nyong'o - Calvin Klein


Lady Gaga - Alaïa
Chloe Grace Moretz - Miu Miu


Next up, the gentlemen. Now a lot of people would say, a suit is a suit and that there is not much to say about them. But I think the Academy Awards are proof that there is a lot that goes into choosing the perfect suit and here's a few of my favourite examples...

Neil Patrick Harris & David Burtka - In Brunello Cucinelli and Calvin Klein. How could I not mention the host himself and his partner. Individually, I love both of these looks, but more so NPH's grey Brunello Cucinelli suit, however David's Calvin Klein combo is very smart too. 

Eddie Redmayne donned this smart Alexander McQueen suit. Possibly my favourite suit of the night. The man has style, there's no denying it. As we watch him rise to stardom, bagging his first Oscar, Mr Redmayne is not letting the side down with his fashion choices.


Ansel Elgort in Prada. Another man becoming known for great fashion choices. In a similar coloured suit to Eddie Redmayne, Ansel smartly worked this navy Prada suit on the carpet.

Channing Tatum obviously didn't get the navy suit memo, but I think he did just fine in this classic black Dolce & Gabbana suit with dicky-bow and pocket square to complete.


Will.i.am has got a bit of a reputation for not following the rules. Turning up in this vertically striped shirt, a black jacket, rolled up pants and leather studded sneakers.

Ryan Seacrest, the E! reporter is always dressed to impress, once again he paced the red carpet in his own line, Ryan Seacrest Distinction. Looking smarter than ever, in this classic black number, he confidently reported on everyone else's appearance on E!'s Live Red Carpet.


Now it wouldn't be a red carpet review, if we didn't look at the fashion fails from the night and here are top four disasters from the 87th Academy Awards..

I don't even know where to begin... *deep breath*

Lorelei Linklater came out in this Gabriela Cadena piece, looking like she was ready to perform some martial arts or maybe cook some sushi. Did I just say that? There's just way to much going on with the dark colours and the gothic patterning.

Now Bey, don't hate me for slating your sister, but I'm sure even you, would have told Solange, to get back into her room and change. Wearing this Christian Siriano number, it has been said many times, that it looked like Solange turned up wearing the actual red carpet itself, so true.


Marian Cotillard wore this Dior Haute Couture dress. Now this has been to some people's taste, but certainly not to mine. I do like the pattern on the fabric but what is with the excess at the back, did they not want cut it, so instead they decided to just tie it into a ponytail. I just don't get it.

*yet another deep breath*

This is where, I lost my mind. Nicole Kidman has been around a while and surely to God, she knows how to dress herself by this stage. Don't get me wrong, the sequinned yellow Louis Vuitton gown is nice, but who in their right mind would choose to wear a red belt with it. Without the belt, Kidman would have went unnoticed which probably would have been a good thing, but easily my worst dressed of the night, due to the awful coordination.



That's all for my Red Carpet Review of the 87th Oscars, let me know what you think and feel free to comment and share this post. Here's the link to my last post: Red Carpet Review: The BAFTAs 2015, feel free to check it out. Up next, I hope to review the Elle Style Awards and the BRITs Red Carpet as well as choosing and reviewing my new favourite Autumn/Winter collections from New York, London, Milan and Paris Fashion Weeks.

Thanks,
Barry Taylor

Feel free to follow me on:
Twitter: baarold
Instagram: barryt95
Tumblr: barryharryt
Pinterest: barryt95


Photo Credit: Getty Images/Invision/AP/Wire Image



Popular posts from this blog

Introducing My Store On RedBubble

London Life | The Official Move

Paris & London | A Month of Madness