London Life: Week 6 - The Half Way Mark

So we're half way there now, six weeks since I've been home, six weeks until I'll be home! It's crazy and I'm so grateful for this experience. If you asked me this time last year, what I would be doing by now, I never in a million years would have thought I'd be spending my summer in London, interning at Giles and experiencing this incredible city. I know I keep repeating myself but it is so surreal, I genuinely can't believe that this is happening and it just makes me believe that, if there is something you truly want, something that you are so extremely passionate about, there is absolutely nothing stopping you from achieving it. One way or another, there is always a way to achieve your goals, you just need to believe in yourself.

The Shard

Monday morning I completed my beaded embroidery sample. After that, I made a trip into Soho, to buy some grosgrain for a corset. Later on I had to source some water colour ink for Giles for his illustrations, so I went to Atlantis, apparently the largest art materials store in UK, definitely recommend a trip if you're in the Shoreditch area. When I returned to the studio, I started a new piece of embroidery, featuring a squirrel.

Just Remember..

Tuesday I continued with my embroidery piece along with the usual trips to Forma Leather and Capital Models, the laser cutters. Tuesday went quite slowly, the days go a lot slower, since I finished working on the wedding dress. Later on, we were shown more samples of a direction that they wanted to move in for the new collection and we were asked to experiment a bit more with that.

Another sunny photo from the V&A

Wednesday brought two trips to the laser cutters, more sampling for the SS16 collections and a trip to Atlantis and London Trimmings on a search for some dye. We were asked what teams we would like to be involved in, coming up to fashion week and I chose PR and Embroidery. I've become really interested in the PR side of the industry since I started working here, so I'm going to be involved in the organising of who sits on front row at the show at London Fashion Week and who will be wearing what GILES garments to the show, which I'm so excited about. I'll also be doing more of the embroidery which I have been doing, working more towards final pieces, they seem pretty happy with the sampling I've done so far, so I'm looking forward to that too!

Thursday, I made another trip to the laser cutters, more sampling and another trip to London Trimmings for a zip and more dye. After that, I went to Haggerstown Studios, to collect a pair of trousers from a Wonderland photoshoot! In the evening, we had to clean more laser cut leather and I had to get a copy of ID magazine for a new press release.

A New Favourite Movie


Friday, we cleaned more leather and continued with our sampling. I made another trip to the laser cutters and continued embroidering. We got off half an hour early and that was another week finished in the Giles studio. That night I went to to the pub where Stacey work's for a few drinks and then when she was finished working, we watched 'The Perks of Being a Wallflower' which was absolutely incredible, still can't get over it, I need to watch it again. Emma Watson is just incredible. Also speaking of Emma Watson, this year's covergirl for the UK September Issue of VOGUE, so much respect for her, such an inspiration!

'Shoes: Pleasure and Pain'
Saturday morning, we went to Hyde Park for breakfast-picnic, followed by another trip to the beautiful Serpentine Pavilion and then onto the Science Museum where we met Eimear. After that, we met Sarah and went to see the amazing 'Shoes: Pleasure and Pain' exhibition in V&A. When we were finished there I left the girls and met Samantha, a childhood friend and her boyfriend in Leicester Square, where we got food and a few drinks and had a great catch up.

The Science Museum

Sunday I tried to have a sleep in, but my 9am start has built in, independent of my alarm. So I did the usual Sunday chores, washing and tidying. I then made my way into Covent Garden for a wander for meeting Eimear and Stacey for a delicious meal in Pizza Express and then onto the Palace Theatre to see 'The Commitments' which was absolutely amazing.We had bought cheap £15 tickets and got upgraded to the Grand Circle. Absolutely amazing show, definitely going to be singing the soundtrack for the rest of the week.

Incredible!

So that's all for this week, another great week followed by a very enjoyable weekend. As usual, you know the story, feedback's welcome and feel free to follow me on my other social media sights and give my Facebook Page a like: Barry Taylor Design
Thanks,
Barry T.


Feel free to follow me on:
Twitter: Baarold
Instagram: barryt95
Tumblr: barryharryt
Pinterest: barryt95


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introducing My Store On RedBubble

London Life | The Official Move

Paris & London | A Month of Madness